How to Make Yogurt


So I found this amazing yogurt tutorial on Pinterest a few weeks ago. Over the past few days I have come to the realization that I have to cut down on all budgets big time, I figured I'd start with groceries. So after getting my coupon on, I thought I'd try to make my own yogurt. It actually worked out pretty well and I'm psyched to save money and to make delicious yogurt. Wanna make your own? Here's the super easy way to get your cooking goddess on! What You Need: A gallon of milk, glass jars, 6 oz of good quality yogurt, thermometer and cooler. Pour your milk in a large stockpot (I used a gallon of 2% and it made alot). Warm up your milk, I put it on 7 and let it slowly heat up to 190. Wisk it but don't let it boil since 190 is scalding the milk.
When its at 190 turn it down and maintain this temp for 10 minutes. Afterwards let the milk cool to 120. Let it sit on the stove or put it in a sink of cold water (much quicker). Add your starter yogurt and whatever flavors you want. I added 2 tsp of vanilla and 3/4 cup of sugar. In the future you can use your own yogurt to start, but first batch needs 6 oz of quality stuff. Pour the mix into glass jars and scoop off the frothy layer. Despite this looking like bootlegging, it works. Pour 120 degrees water (enough to cover jars to below the lids) in the cooler. Let the jars sit for 4 hours and move to the fridge. Do not open the jars, it lasts a lot longer if you resist temptation. Keep the yogurt in the fridge overnight then bust them out and enjoy! Add maple syrup, honey, ect.